Build a Portfolio You Can L.I.V.E. With
Investor Insights, April 20th, 2018
Five Things You Should Know
- Equity Markets – were positive across the globe this week with U.S. stocks (S&P 500) up 0.40% while international stocks (EAFE) were up 0.30%.
- Fixed Income Markets – on the other hand experienced losses this week with investment grade bonds (AGG) down -0.73% while high yield bonds (JNK) were down -0.47%
- Syrian Bombing – Despite rising tensions between D.C. and Moscow, global markets seemed to shrug off the bombings as an isolated event and not indicative of further significant action as they rose modestly this week. While Russia has talked tough in response, their markets dropped significantly this week on the threats of additional Western economic sanctions.
- Trade Update – According to Bloomberg, “Authorities in China said they will remove ownership caps on the auto industry, reversing a two-decade old policy that will pave the way for foreign control of more than 50 percent of its manufacturers.” As trade concerns have abated, risk markets have moved higher.
- Key Insight – Too many investors and advisors view portfolio construction through what amounts to a “theoretical” prism instead of a “practical” one. The former approach fixates on historical returns, while the latter approach never loses sight of making sure to find the proper balance between sufficient returns and income on the one hand, and the context of the individual’s needs, personality and life’s unexpected twists and turns on the other.
To read the full article/watch the video, click below!